8 Of The Most Terrifying Horror Movies Ever Made Will Be Shown On The Big Screen This Month
Including 'The Blair Witch Project', 'Witchfinder General', and 'The Wicker Man'
The best of the folk horror genre will be explored by the Irish Film Institute (IFI) during their Haunted Landscapes season, set to take place from Saturday July 16 until Saturday July 30.
The subgenre in question is marked by the following characteristics: an interest in paganism, rural communities with a connection to the land and its regenerative cycles, and the importance of superstition over science.
To celebrate this dark corner of scary cinema, the IFI will be screening eight classic examples of folk horror.
Here are the fright flicks you can expect.
1. Witchfinder General, Saturday July 16, 6.30pm
2. The Wicker Man, Saturday July 16, 8.45pm
3. Quatermass And The Pit, Sunday July 17, 2pm
4. Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders, Wednesday July 20, 6.30pm
5. Blood On Satan's Claw, Saturday July 23, 8.30pm
6. The Devil Rides Out, Sunday July 24, 2pm
7. Night Of The Demon, Wednesday July 27, 6.30pm
8. The Blair Witch Project, Saturday July 30, 8.30pm
For more info, or to pick up your tickets, click here. You can find the IFI at 6 Eustace Street.