New high-tech speed cameras in Dublin's Port Tunnel are soon to be set live.
In recent times there have been multiple accidents and collisions in the Port Tunnel.
Traffic through the Tunnel has increased by 40% in the last five years, roughly 24,000 vehicles pass through it ever day and these cameras aid to act as a deterrent for speeding and dangerous driving.
Here's all you need to know:
- The speed limit is 80kmh
- Break this, even once, and you'll face an automatic €80 fine and receive three penalty points
- The cameras will be in full-time discrete operation – no flash warning or anything
- The full 4.5km of the tunnel will be covered by multiple cameras, no point is unmonitored
- The numerous cameras calculate your average speed throughout the tunnel, so stay under 80kmh at ALL times
- This is the first average speed detection camera enforcement system in Ireland
- The introduction of the cameras was announced last June and they are set to go live in the coming weeks
The new high-tech system been tested to satisfaction and will come into operation shortly once it's signed-off.
You've been warned...