Quinn's Pub Fined €1750 After HSE Find Sewage And Dead Rat In Stockrooms Last Year
Quinn's Pub in Drumcondra is a hugely popular place to be on GAA match days due to its convenient location near Croke Park. Fans of the pub will be distressed to hear that it was forced to close for 48 hours by the HSE after last year's All Ireland hurling final due to an overflow into their cellars of raw sewage in addition to a dead rat being found and evidence of rat infestation.
The overflow of sewage into the basement cellar meant that drinks stored there were at risk of contamination from diseases such as E.Coli, salmonella and hepatitis. Senior health environmental inspector Chris Counihan of the HSE said it was the worst case he'd ever seen in his 17 years professional experience. The basement was used to store alcoholic beverages and soft drinks, no food was stored in the basement. While the sewage was contained to the cellars, the bars were also deemed below par by the HSE with the ice machine containing rust, the bar surfaces being dirty and mould found on fridge doors.
Quinn's Pub pleaded guilty to breaking hygiene laws and since the two day closure notice have worked hard to remove what the HSE referred to as "grave and immediate danger" including destroying all €25k worth of stock held in the basement storeroom.