21 Things You Learn About Office Life From Watching The Office
6. No-one cares about your birthday.
It takes a special kind of person to work in an office. Well, to work in an office and not lose their mind, that is...And we feel like The Office has depicted that perfectly.
Whether it's avoiding wilderness retreats or kissing your co-workers, watching The Office sort of sets you up for any stint at a desk.
Maybe not Belsnickel, but pretty much everything else...
1. That everyone's a little... different
And you start to wonder what they must think of you.
2. Every office has a wildly inappropriate inhabitant
Just that one step too far. Every. Single. Time.
3. That office romances really do happen
They may be a little more 'lets drunk shift at the Christmas party' more than 'if you're a bird, I'm a bird', but they still do.
Love is real.
4. Organised fun is painful and dissatisfying
This goes for work nights out and team-bonding sessions.
5. There's always one person in the office who eats really weirdly
Can't think of who it is?
6. That no-one cares about your birthday
Because you are old AF and we all have a shitloads of work to do. Sorry, mate.
7. That you don't talk to anyone a minute after work finishes
Quitting time = you time.
8. That you should never, ever be 'that guy'
'That guy' can mean any number of things. But just remember, never be him.
9. That the tiniest of victories are still victories
The kitchen doesn't smell like tuna? Sweet.
You don't have lower back pain? Alright!
The toilet isn't blocked today? YEESSS.
10. That office delirium is a thing and should be adequately dealt with
i.e. Buy the office a whole load of Haribo and bring them to YOUR LEVEL.
11. That people will judge your lunch
Nope, you haven't imagined those condescending stares. They're real.
12. That work best friends are worth their weight in gold
Never let go of them. They understand the madness.
13. That people are stupid
So, very stupid.
14. And weird
15. Collecting money for ANYTHING is a nightmare
And volunteering to collect means, by default, you are naive and a little silly.
16. That messing is necessary and encouraged
And you'll need to take it up as a side project if you want to stay alive.
17. There's nothing fun about a fun run
In fact, they ruin everything that's good.
18. Two people in the office (at least) have secretly done it
It's true. Trust us.
19. But you will all develop your own unique dynamic
However utterly bizarre it may be.
20. And may even find yourself revelling in the madness
The perplexing, frightening madness.
21. Because you're all really just a bunch of weirdos
Each and every one.