20 Things You'll Remember If You Experienced Halloween In '90s Ireland
Fun snaps, Hocus Pocus, and black bin bag trickery were all part of the ritual
It's getting to be that time of year again.
With Halloween coming up, we can't help but cast our mind back to our childhood (we already talked about the ranking of Halloween treats earlier in the week), and we remember Halloween as being a lot different to the way it is today.
Take a look below and see if anything's familiar...
1. Black bin bags solved all costume woes
While kids today waltz around in picture perfect Frozen outfits, in our day all we needed was a roll of black bin bags, a bit of elbow grease, and a shit-tonne of imagination.
2. Plastic vampire fangs
The most terrifying part of this costume accessory was your child-like willingness to let your friends also try them on.
3. Boys were vampires, girls were witches
While ghosts were unisex and wholly unimaginative.
4. It was your chance to stay up late and watch scary movies on Network 2
Which was an infinitely better name than RTÉ 2.
5. You could always look forward to a special episode of Sabrina The Teenage Witch
Perhaps the best witch-centric TV show of the decade.
6. And The Simpsons Halloween Specials were still brilliant at that point
This being the era when the programme was not the complete and utter shit it is today.
7. You were a complete badass with your fun snaps
Armed with the ability to make very small snapping noises, you were the consummate thug.
8. Weeks of bangers before AND after Halloween
Screamers, black cats, fountains, flibbertigibbets... Okay we made up that last one.
9. Your shite neighbours would turn off their lights and pretend they weren't home
Fuckers weren't foolin' anyone.
10. Cheap plastic masks that cut into your face
"Do you have any masks that don't have sharp edges that will cause my child pain? No? Meh, I tried."
11. Back Street Boys 'Everybody (Backstreet's Back)' was the festive anthem
And remains an absolute tune.
12. Literally anything could be thrown into a bonfire
These were the good old pre-recycling days when all your household rubbish could be fucked into a bonfire, and if you did recycle it was because you had notions.
13. It wasn't Halloween unless you'd watched Hocus Pocus about three times
They just don't make 'em like they used to.
14. Inner turmoil over whether you were too mature for this trick or treating craic
"At 9 years old, am I gettin' too old for this shit?"
15. It was egg or be egged
If you can't beat 'em...
16. Bobbing for apples was all the rage
Because nothing says 'fun!' like trying to dunk your face into a bowl of cold water laced with child saliva, to sink your teeth into a pre-chewed apple.
17. Getting a pound while trick or treating was the Holy Grail
If only more of your neighbours would've forgotten to buy sweets.
19. Everyone had a Scream mask
20. The quality of treats you got from neighbours determined how you felt about them for a year
If it grew in the ground, they were wasting our time with that shit.