Close

Follow Lovin Dublin

Man Hospitalised After Drinking Fake Alcohol Sold In Dublin

By mariemadden

March 15, 2017 at 10:14am

Share:

A man has been hospitalised after drinking fake alcohol sold in Dublin.

The substance was sold in a vodka bottle by an "unauthorised vendor" in Ballymun and contained methanol, a "highly toxic" substance.

The HSE has now issued a health warning, advising the public to only buy alcohol from a recognised shop, off-licence or licensed premises.

The organisation also warned that consuming methanol can cause kidney failure, blindness and death. 

"People who drink methanol may initially have symptoms of loss of balance, staggering, slurred speech and eye tremor.There may be a gap of 12 to 24 hours before symptoms of methanol poisoning develop. 

"These can include headache, confusion, dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and rapid breathing. In severe cases, convulsions and coma can develop."

READ NEXT: Dublin Fire Brigade Rescued Another Person From The Liffey Last Night

Share:

Join the Lovin Dublin Newsletter

* indicates required

Interests

Marketing Permissions

Please select all the ways you would like to hear from Lovin Media Group:

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.