PICS: This Basement Bar Has Just Opened On O'Connell Street – And It's Gorgeous
Will you be visiting the New York-style spot this weekend?
Well this place is stunning.
Located on Upper O'Connell Street, this new bar has just opened in the spacious basement of Murray's and it's decked out beautifully. Here's some info about the new spot:
- It unofficially opened just last Wednesday
- It specialises in whiskey and gin, but also offering an array of beers on tap, there are plenty of cocktails on offer, including Manhattans, French Martinis, and a selection of Bloody Marys
- The New York-style bar can be booked for private functions
- The brickwork has been salvaged from a 300-year-old mill in Harold's Cross
- It's connected to The Living Room and Fibber's via a common beer garden
- It's open from 4pm till close weekdays and all day at weekends
Take a look at it out below.
Owner Ross Murray and his bartenders took a trip to New York a year ago in order to get ideas to transform the disused basement space beneath O'Connell Street's recognisable Murray's Bar.
Since opening in 2009, the upstairs bar of Murray's has proven popular with tourists for it's use of 1916 memorabilia, staff are even instructed about Irish history to inform curious customers.
Their new downstairs bar is hoping to have a different sort of appeal, however, trying to provide an alternative to upmarket watering holes on the other side of the Liffey.
There's so many nice places to go for a drink on the Southside, but there aren't any Northside options. That's what we're trying to offer.Ross Murray
Yet it's still Murray's, and that's reflected in the authentic historical decor which surrounds you in the roomy underground space.
You can find the bar downstairs at Murray's, 33/34 Upper O'Connell Street.
Get there this weekend before it's overrun.