Diamonds are fab and all, but not everyone wants to shell out the price of a small farm for a piece of jewellery.
Before you sign up for the usual whopper diamond ring, why not consider a coloured stone, something in rose gold, a cool contemporary pieces or a ring that's been handmade just for you?
We've picked out a few of our favourite alternative engagement gems for the bride (and groom!) who wants something different...
1. This Sprig ring with Cognac diamond
€1,380 at Design Yard.
2. This Aurélie Bidermann Chivor ring
€1,520 at net-a-porter.
3. This Watermelon cocktail ring
€500 at The Real Real.
4. Chupi's Sparkle In The Wild in Prasiolite
€929 at Chupi
5. This very cool X ring in Black Rhodium with White Diamonds
€886 by Assya London.
6. Zoe and Morgan's White Saphire cluster ring
€999 at Loulerie.
7. Monica Vinader's Naida ring
€340 at Brown Thomas.
8. Etsy's White Moonstone ring
€527.89 at Etsy.
9. This handmade Lemon Quartz ring
€1,065.76 by SlowackJewelry.
10. Gucci's stud and crystal-embellished ring
€490 at matchesfashion.com.
11. This Conflict-Free ring in rose gold
€494.33 at Ash Hilton.
12. This arrow Kira ring
€1,100 at Digby & Iona.
13. This Roble ring
€900 at BHLDN.
14. Vrai & Oro's Trillion ring
€350 at Vrai & Oro.
15. This Ginette NY Mini Straw ring
€750 at Eliza Page.
16. Sydney Evan's Scripted Love ring
€969.47 at Intermix.
17. This pearl and gold Chloé ring
€240 at Ssense.
18. Carat's Pear Canary ring
€300 at Selfridges.