‘Tis far from fancy school lunches we were raised, that’s for sure. In our school days the glammest thing you might expect to get from the canteen is a chicken curry.
A recent government initiative to prevent childhood obesity however, means that schools are having to step up their food game.
And Castle Park School in Dalkey, a private primary (we didn’t know there was such a thing either, but fees will set you back a good few grand a year), tops the list for slickest school lunch.
The Irish Independent reports that these yum dishes are on the menu:
- Indian Spiced Vegetable Biryani
- Spiced Lamb Kofta Skewer, Mint & Mango Chutney
- Rustic Style BBQ Chicken, Baby Spinach & Red Onion
- Pulled beef brisket, horseradish cream & sourdough crust
- Traditional Cottage Pie with a Crispy Sweet Potato & Garlic Topping
- Moroccan Style Vegetable & Apricot Tagine with CousCous
- Roast Butter Basted Turkey Butterfly, Sage & Redcurrant Jus
- Caramelised sweet red onion and goats’ cheese bouchee
- Charred Vine Tomato, Fennel & Parmesan Bruschetta
- Golden Baked Pork, Apple & New Potato Cornish Pasty
- Creamed Potato Champ
- Vichy Style Carrot Battons
- Cold Meats with a Selection of Ten Different Salads
- Chicken & Mushroom Vol au Vent
- Minted Baby Boiled Potatoes
- New Season Turnips with Rosemary
- Homemade Rich Gingerbread Cake Butterscotch Sauce
- Bramley Apple & Mixed Berry Crumble, Warm Custard
- Selection of Fresh Fruit
Lucky little ducks.
Header image: Irish War Memorials