We wouldn't wish driving in holiday traffic upon our worst enemies, so public transport is the way to go this December.
The holiday timetables for Dublin Bus, the Luas and Irish Rail are all here at last, so take a look at 'em before you start planning this year's Christmas shopping.
If you are looking to plan your travel by public transport over the Christmas period use the TFI Journey Planner, which gives you information about every mode of public transport in Ireland, simply click HERE.
To compensate for the increase in passengers this month Dublin Bus is increasing its services on regular routes during peak shopping periods, as well as adding additional Nitelink services.
Christmas Nitelink Service 2017
- Friday December 8 & Saturday December 9: All Nitelink routes will operate as per normal weekend service.
- Thursday December 14, Friday December 15 & Saturday December 16: All Nitelink routes will operate as per normal weekend service.
- Wednesday December 20, Thursday December 21, Friday December 22 and Saturday December 23: All Nitelink routes will operate as per normal weekend service.
- Sunday December 24 to Thursday December 28: Nitelink Service will not operate.
- Friday December 29, Saturday December 30 and Sunday December 31: All Nitelink routes will operate as per normal weekend service.
Here's how the Luas will operate over the most important dates during the Christmas and New Year's period.
- Christmas Eve, Sunday December 24: Luas services end at 8pm.
- Christmas Day, Monday December 25: No Luas services.
- St Stephen’s Day, Tuesday December 26: Sunday schedule with services starting at 9am.
- Wednesday, December 27: Saturday schedule.
- Thursday, December 28: Saturday schedule.
- Friday, December 29: Saturday schedule.
- Saturday, December 30: Saturday schedule.
- Sunday, December 31: Sunday schedule with Night Luas services as above.
- Bank Holiday Monday, January 1: Sunday schedule.
- Tuesday, January 2: Regular weekday schedule resumes at 5.30am.
Night Luas Services
Night Luas trams will operate on the Green Line and Red Line on Friday December 15, Saturday December 16, Friday December 22, Saturday December 23 and Sunday December 31 from 12am each night. But take note: Night Luas trams will operate Southbound and Westbound, out of the city centre, only.
For the complete Night Luas schedule, click HERE.
Late Night DART and Commuter services will run every weekend before Christmas and after Dublin’s New Year’s Eve celebrations.
These services will serve all stations on DART, Dundalk, Maynooth and Kildare Commuter lines, including Pearse to Kildare via Phoenix Park Tunnel.
Weekly, monthly and annual season tickets are all accepted for Late Night services and security will be present on these journeys.
Late night services will operate on Friday December 8, Saturday December 9, Friday December 15, Saturday December 16 and Friday December 22 at the following times:
- 12.30am and 1.30am from Dublin Pearse serving all stations to Howth
- 12.30am and 01.30am from Dublin Connolly serving all stations to Greystones
- 12.40am and 01.40am from Dublin Pearse serving Tara Street, Dublin Connolly, and all stations from Howth Junction to Dundalk
- 12.20am and 1.55am from Dublin Pearse serving all stations to Maynooth
- 11.50pm and 1.50am from Dublin Pearse serving all stations to Drumcondra, and all stations from ParkWest to Kildare (new for 2017)
- New Year’s Eve services have yet to be confirmed