Follow Lovin Dublin

4 Things You Need To Know To Get A Tax Refund This Year

By mariemadden

February 1, 2017 at 3:38pm


Every year, millions of euro in
unclaimed tax is left with the tax man.

At this time of year, we could all use
a financial windfall but there are hundreds of euro in refunds being
passed up by individuals all over the country.

Many PAYE workers assume that all of their
tax affairs are handled in the workplace but there's so many events
that can trigger a tax refund so it's definitely worth taking the
time to check it out.

In the latest in our 'mind your money'
series, we asked financial adviser Lorraine Cooke to give us the
lowdown on tax back and the best way to give your bank balance a

1. Know what you're entitled to

In 2015, some people were paid for week
53. This meant that those people didn’t get any tax credits
allocated against the amount and overpaid their tax. This is just one
example of the many, many ways you can qualify for a tax refund.

You may be due a rebate if you worked full or part time, visited the doctor or dentist, paid rent, paid tuition fees, got married or were on maternity/paternity leave

This can also apply if you worked abroad, have been made redundant, are a stay-at-home parent/carer, have paid into a personal pension, have income protection insurance or have had your medical insurance paid for by
your employer.

Those who have a mortgage and have not claimed
mortgage interest relief (TRS) may also be entitled to a refund, as well as those who have changed jobs mid-year or first time buyers who are purchasing a newly
built home or a self-build.

Shutterstock 365284043

2. Don't forget to claim for previous

Revenue will allow you to claim back
for a four-year period. This means you can currently claim back to

Screen Shot 2017 02 01 At 11 00 36

3. Sort out your affairs online

If you are a PAYE taxpayer and you are
registered with Revenue's PAYE Anytime service, you can view your tax
credit certificate online.

PAYE Anytime is available through
Revenue's myAccount Service and your tax credit certificate will show
the tax credits that your employer is deducting from your tax bill.

If you find out during the year that
your tax credits are not correct, you should contact Revenue and any
refund you may be due will be paid to you by your employer. It is
also important to check you are not claiming tax credits you are not
entitled to, as this will result in an underpayment of tax.

Shutterstock 268450493

4. Request a P21 statement

To find out whether you owe tax or are due a tax refund, you can request a P21 at the end of the year once your P60 has been issued.

A P21 statement gives details of your total income, tax credits, tax reliefs and PAYE tax paid for a particular tax year. You can request a P21 online using the myAccount Service.

It might sound complicated, but it's really simple once you can see it!

Alternatively, you can contact an authorised agent of Revenue to act on your behalf and complete the review. They will use their expertise to negotiate the tax maze and so all the work for you.

Shutterstock 375340615

Get what you’re owed back from Revenue before it’s too late!

Lorraine Cooke set up Jigsaw Financial Solutions in August 2011 as a one-stop-shop for individuals and businesses to look after their tax and financial needs. Find out more at

READ NEXT: 7 Questions You Need To Ask Is You Want To Apply For A Mortgage


Subscribe to our Newsletter

Get the best of your city straight to your inbox.

I'd like to receive news and exclusive offers from Lovin Dublin including competitions, products, commercial partners and activities. By submitting this form you agree to our T&Cs and our privacy policy