It isn't that Meltybrains? is a band that defies definition, it's just that the definition is so mental you probably wouldn't get it. But if you need an approximate genre for them, perhaps experimental electronic post-rock will suffice.
While made up of classically trained musicians, there is nothing traditional about the band that formed in Maynooth, and it's fair to say that they're one of a kind.
The five-piece have made a name for themselves by donning pretty outlandish attire during their bizarre and mesmerising stage performances.
We spoke to the band's synth and electronics wizard Brian Dillon, who said they formed "to rid the world of the evils of off-colour toupees and off-key cruise ship singers." Which, you'll soon realise, is a perfectly Meltybrains? answers...
1. Describe the Meltybrains? sound.
The elegant sound of a herd of baboons screaming and flailing their way across a vast plain before diving over the edge of a precipice. Did I mention the baboons are all playing flugelhorns?
2. What is the average Meltybrains? fan like?
The average Meltybrains? fan is a very nice man called Flann. He's a stunningly average guy, but we get on very well with him and he always makes us tea. However, he keeps turning up whenever and wherever we play music. To watch and listen to us. Frankly, I find it very unnerving.
3. Favourite TV show at the moment?
The Adventures of Meltybrains? in which a group of young rapscallions with a never-say-die attitude and a wisdom beyond their years take on criminal masterminds in a race against time to win Antiques Roadshow.
4. What band has had the greatest influence on you?
Band of Brothers.
5. What's your main reason for being in a band?
We're mostly doing it for Flann really. I don't know what he'd do without us.
6. What's to do done about the seagull menace?
We should bow down, admit they are our betters and give them the keys to the city.
7. What do you love about Dublin?
Our seagull overlords.
8. What do you hate about Dublin?
The lack of small metal figurines of men and women on all of the window shutters.
9. What do you think of the Irish music industry?
I think the music's great. Less impressed by the industry side of it...
10. What keeps you awake at night?
The sound of a thousand hungry cats.
11. What gets you up in the morning?
The sound of a thousand angry seagulls.
12. Name an embarrassing thing you can't do.
I can't piss the bed.
13. What's your alcoholic beverage of choice?
A tepid glass of lemon milk whiskey.
14. Hangover cure?
15. Deep Impact or Armageddon?
Toy Story 7 – The Little Meteor That Could.
16. What's your greatest ambition in life?
To become a part-time accountant for a small farm insurance firm in Wellington Province, New Zealand.
17. Any parting words of wisdom for us?
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible" – Frank Zappa quote for you there.
Check out Meltybrains? new song 'The Vine' on Soundcloud here or watch the newly released video below.