Dublin Fire Brigade have issued a warning to anyone who owns an Elf On The Shelf, after one family's elf nearly caused a house fire.
Elf On The Shelf is a popular Christmas toy, owned by families all over the country.
The idea behind it is that one of Santa's elves has been sent to keep an eye on children, to make sure they are well behaved before Christmas.
— The Elf on the Shelf (@elfontheshelf) December 11, 2017
And for one family, it was a lucky escape, as their elf nearly caught fire after being placed on a lamp.
The fire brigade posted a tweet warning anyone with one of the toys to keep them well away from heat, to avoid the risk of them catching fire.
They also mentioned that the person was lucky that their toy had a CE mark, meaning that it conforms to the European safety standards... so do be mindful of fakes!
Close one for this #ElfOnAShelf after she ended up on a lamp. The householder had done the right thing & purchased one with a CE mark. The Elf resisted heat for 40 minutes. Keep all decorations away from heat pic.twitter.com/t7R3GrQIyD
— Dublin Fire Brigade (@DubFireBrigade) December 12, 2017