The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) today reported that ten Closure Orders were served on food businesses during the month of September for breaches of food safety legislation.
"Significant" rodent and cockroach infestations were the cause for two Dublin food outlets.
Spar on 23 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin 4 was issued a closure order for a significant rodent infestation, with the report stating that a significant number of rat droppings were found in the basement, as well as several droppings found on the shop floor.
Akash restaurant on 7 George's Avenue, Blackrock, County Dublin was ordered to close after an "extensive cockroach infestation" was discovered the food premise's kitchen.
Live adult and baby cockroaches were found alongside a number of cockroach egg casings, and cockroach excrement was found on a hand wash basin.
In September, six Closure Orders were served under the FSAI Act, 1998 on:
- Glebe Gardens and Café (Part closed: Bakery Storeroom), Baltimore, Cork
- Spar (retailer), 23 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin 4
- Akash (restaurant/café), 7 George's Avenue, Blackrock, County Dublin
- Larry's Marino Fair (Part closed: Food storage at rear of 203 Philipsburgh Ave, Marino, Dublin 3) (butcher), 205 Philipsburgh Ave, Marino, Dublin 3
- Caspian Pizza (restaurant/café), Main Street Car Park, Donegal Town, Donegal
- Alfredos (take away), Unit 9, Ballybane Shopping Centre, Ballybane Road, Galway
We hope you aren't reading this while eating...