Dogs are sneaky little divils when it comes to getting into the bins, or up onto the counters and table or making their way into the presses.
Anything for some munch, right?
But many household items can actually be totally toxic for dogs. We've compiled some of the most harmful so that you can take necessary precautions in keeping them out of reach.
These contain the chemical compound methylxanthine.
This can cause vomiting and diarrhoea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and can possibly even lead to death.
Also contains methylxanthine. Dark chocolate in particular contains high levels of the harmful chemical compound but, as most people know, all chocolate is really bad for a dog's health.
3. Grapes and raisins
Researchers don't yet understand why grapes are toxic to dogs, but they without a doubt are.
The ingestion of grapes can lead to kidney failure, vomiting, tremor, extreme thirst and lethargy.
4. Onion and garlic
Some our favourite flavours in food but these can actually cause serious gastrointestinal inflammation for dogs.
Yes, alcohol. It has been known to cause vomiting, diarrhoea, decreased coordination, difficulty breathing and even death.
6. Macadamia nuts
This nut can cause weakness in a dog’s hind legs, depression, hypothermia, vomiting and tremors in dogs in the 12 to 48 hours after ingestion. It is believed that just a small amount of macadamia nut is enough to be really harmful, and its toxicity may be connected to the food’s extremely high fat content.
Chemicals and household cleaning products in general should a major no-no.
Lock them away, for good. We all know how clever dogs can be in getting what they want.
H/T: The Huffington Post