The Big Grill is back for the third time this year, and even thinking about it is making us ravenous.
A celebration of the ancient art of cooking with fire and smoke, comes to the leafy surrounds of Herbert Park this August 11 - 14.
Almost doubling in size from last year, The Big Grill will allow you to smell, taste, discover and learn about all kinds of BBQing grilling, smoking, meats and delicacies from around the globe. They'll also have an admirable amount of craft beers and ciders on offer.
With demos, workshops, a children's play area and a chilli-eating challenge - there's quite literally something for everyone.
And we're here to show you how to do it best...
1. Important times
The opening times for sumptuous festival are as follows:
- Thursday 11 August, 4pm
- Friday 12 August, 4pm
- Saturday 13 August, 12pm
- Sunday 14 August, 12pm
2. Getting there
Herbert Park is a picturesque grassy area situated right in the heart of Ballsbridge. It's easily accessible with ample parking in the surrounding areas.
For those of you who want to enjoy a tipple - the 39A, 46A, 7 and buses drop you from Trinity College to two minutes walk from Herbert Park.
The nearest Dublin Bike stop is Herbert Place, and it's a 15 minute walk from there.
3. Who's going?
You know all the restaurants you pass that actually makes your mouth water and stomach rumble?
Yep, they're all going to be there.
4. Must see acts
- DJ BBQ – The undisputed King Of Meat, DJ BBQ does cooking demonstrations at some of the tastiest festivals the world over AND he does it all while playing tunes, too.
- Neil Rankin – A fine dining chef with applicable skills you can use daily; Neil Rankin is a former Barbecoa resident chef, head chef at Pitt Cue and proud owner of Smokehouse. This guy knows his smoked meat.
- Andre Lima Da Luca – Executive Chef and co-founder of BOS BBQ, André is the first certified Pitmaster of Brazil. Considered the country’s ultimate fire specialist, André is a fanatic of meat and all methods smoky, traditional or otherwise.
5. Are there any new stalls?
If you attended The Big Grill last year or the year before, you should get excited, because it's bigger, better and so much juicier this year.
- Hangfire Smokehouse – Run by two ladies, affectionately called The First Ladies of Cue, this three-year-old business has boasted enormous success during its run. And now it's coming to Dublin to swap some secrets.
- Neil Rankin – Chef, cookbook writer and renowned London restaurateur, Neil has been at the forefront of the barbecue and live fire cooking scene in London for a number of years, and is ready to show us how it's done.
- Mark O'Brien – An Irish lad who left to follow his gourmet dreams. He's now back and ready to show us the hints and tips he learned when abroad.
6. What about when we can't eat anymore?
Fear not, friends!
You'll be able to bop away those delicious calories to tunes from a selection of live acts and Bodytonic DJs. Expect a storm of soul, funk, and hip hop throughout the weekend, giving leafy D4 a chilled, international feel.
7. And how do I get myself a ticket?
As you'd imagine, ticket sales have been through the meat-filled roof. BUT, you can still pick up some juicy tickets here.
Under 12s go free.