10 Things We Know About The Dublin Gangland Feud So Far
We've rounded up some of the best pieces of reporting on a situation that has Dublin gripped
Ever since masked men entered The Regency Hotel in Dublin on Friday afternoon, Dublin has fallen into an uneasy state as gangland warfare has reared its ugly head.
Last night saw the second shooting in what appears to be a revenge attack, and Dubliners are trying to comprehend what exactly is happening.
We thought we'd round up some of the best reporting to date and let you draw your own conclusions.
1. Profile: Gerry Hutch – underworld respect had spared The Monk’s empire until now
One family name keeps cropping up at the centre of this feud and that's Hutch. The Indo has released a profile on one of the most respected and feared figures in Dublin's underworld.
RTÉ’s Paul Reynolds reports on a fatal shooting in Dublin’s north inner city https://t.co/d2Eeoyl8mS— RTÉ News (@rtenews) February 8, 2016
2. Who is the kingpin behind Irish-led cartel based in Spain?
One of the figures behind the recent violence has kept an incredibly low profile over the years, but The Irish Times profile has shed some light on the other main player in this feud.
Gerry Adams condemns latest Dublin shooting saying it has "brought further fear and intimidation to the streets of our capital"— Today FM News (@TodayFMNews) February 8, 2016
3. Murders in Spain and a Dublin attack with AK-47s: the deadly 20-year war of Ireland’s drug cartels
The Guardian has a great in-depth piece about the background to this war, offering an outsider's perspective on the situation.
4. Two tribes go to war as The Monk's brother Eddie Hutch Sr shot dead by four masked men in hotel horror revenge
This is all about two gangs who've fallen out with each other – and The Mirror delved into the reasons behind the shootings.
Seems like Eddie Hutch wasn't really a major criminal - just unfortunate enough to be related to one. https://t.co/OOZgBSJ0ff— Colette Browne (@colettebrowne) February 9, 2016
5. Reddit thread: the whole Kinahan/Hutch feud
Moving aside from the safe and more verified world of mainstream media, Reddit users are analysing it all – and this thread makes for compelling reading. Remember, this has to be taken with a pinch of salt...
Second man killed in Dublin 'gang feud' https://t.co/Sg3OUh7661— Telegraph News (@TelegraphNews) February 9, 2016
6. Jimmy Guerin: criminals are more dangerous and more cocky than ever before
The biggest gangland-related incident in the State's history to date was Veronica Guerin's murder, but this could surpass even that.
7. Media tipped off days before Regency Hotel attack but Gardaí deny having information
The Irish Examiner highlight the fact that the media knew something was going down but that the Gardaí possibly didn't have the resources to tackle the original shooting.
8. Dublin weigh-in murder: doubts cast on Continuity IRA's claims of responsibility
The CIRA claimed the shooting initially, but that now looks to have been a false flag, according to The Guardian.
9. Shocking end to a life of crime for member of Kinahan gang
The signs had been there and as The Indo report this victim had been leading a life of crime for years before the shooting.
Criminals being offered police protection 😂😂https://t.co/9xXXUyoqQX— 83457 (@BeastInTheHead) February 9, 2016
10. Gardaí fear all-out 'war' in Dublin following shooting of Eddie Hutch
Most people think that last night was just another step in the escalation of this sordid affair. The Journal has Garda sources claiming this could be the start of an all-out war.
Dublin, what's going on? #DublinShooting 😐— Laura Humphreys (@_LHump) February 9, 2016