The Christmas mood has well and truly settled in on Dublin, and once the lights across town are switched on we'll be in full festive madness.
While Dublin doesn't have any Christmas markets that really rival those in Germany, Smithfield Square will be transformed into a charming Winter Wonderland for an evening this weekend and it sounds lovely.
The 2017 Smithfield Lights event takes place on Sunday the 26th, with market stalls open from 3pm.
Market stalls, music, and an outdoor cinema
There will be children’s festive entertainment including face painting, workshops, a vintage carousel and an outdoor screening of the classic Christmas movie, The Snowman.
There will also be market stalls with a range of delicious foods, arts and crafts, and the main tree lighting event will take place at approximately 7.10pm, with VIP Santa, The Lord Mayor and special guests in attendance, while Irish band The Riptide Movement will perform at 7.20pm.
The ‘Smithfield Lights’ schedule includes:
(Market Stalls open at 3.00pm)
• Snow Globe, Carousel, Children’s Workshops & Face Painting open at 4.00pm
• Screening of movie The Snowman at 5.00pm – 5.30pm
• Sam Maguire on display at 5.00pm – 6.00pm
• Performance from Stanhope Street Girls Choir at 5.45pm – 6.05pm
• Performance from Red Empire 6.15pm – 7.00pm
• Children’s Workshops & Face Painting finishes at 7.00pm
• Lord Mayor gives a short speech on stage with Santa, Switching on Christmas Tree lights at approximately 7.10pm/7.15pm
• Performance from The Riptide Movement at 7.20pm – 8.00pm
• All Entertainment (Carousel, Snow Globe etc) finishes at 8.00pm
• Christmas Market remains open until 9.00pm
Header image: William Murphy/Flickr