Close

Follow Lovin Dublin

  • Home /

  • News /

  • PIC: Player Speaks Out After Dublin Club Fake His Death In Order To Get Out Of Playing A Game

PIC: Player Speaks Out After Dublin Club Fake His Death In Order To Get Out Of Playing A Game

By Darragh Berry

November 27, 2018 at 9:54pm

Share:

Ballybrack have released an official statement following the bizarre news that the club faked a player's death in order to get out of playing a football match.

The original story can be found here.

For those of you who might have missed out, the club claimed that their former player, Fernando Nuno La-Fuente, had died in a car-crash on Thursday last.

It has turned out though, that the player in question is not dead at all and that the club apparently faked his death in order to postpone playing a game.

In a statement, Ballybrack have been in touch with Fernando who has spoken out and said that he has accepted the club's apology.

"In response to recent events and the information which is currently in circulation across social and mainstream media.

"It has come to the attention of both the club, senior players and the management team that a gross error of judgement has occurred emanating from correspondence sent from a member of the senior set up management team to the Leinster Senior League.

"As of this evening an emergency meeting was held and the person in question has been relieved of all footballing duties, within Ballybrack FC, its senior team and roles within the club itself. The club has contacted Fernando to confirm his whereabouts, wellbeing and are thankful for his acceptance of our apology on this matter.

"This grave and unacceptable mistake was completely out of character and was made by a person who has been experiencing severe personal difficulties unbeknownst to any other members of the club. The club will continue to provide a duty of care to all parties and offer the support that may be needed at this time. This person had previously contributed greatly to the senior team within the club in recent years and to the wider footballing community across Dublin for decades.

"At this stage we can only offer our sincere apologies to the Leinster Senior League, our opponents Arklow Town FC and the host of clubs and football people who made contact with us or offered messages of support in recent days.

"The past few years has seen good progress made in regards to renewal of senior football in the Ballybrack area. We are all taken aback by this event and hope to try work with all relevant organisations and agencies to learn from this mistake.

"Signed:

"Ballybrack Senior Football Team"

A whatsapp audio message has been circulating heavily online also about the matter. The clip was allegedly recorded by a former player who said that the death was faked to postpone a game because majority of the players wanted to go on a stag.

He goes on to say that a member of management just "removed Fernando" from the club's whatsapp group before announcing the news of his fake death.

READ NEXT:WATCH: Storm Diana Destroyed This Part Of Dublin Today And Wednesday's Going To Be Even Worse

Share:

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Get the best of your city straight to your inbox.

I'd like to receive news and exclusive offers from Lovin Dublin including competitions, products, commercial partners and activities. By submitting this form you agree to our T&Cs and our privacy policy