For a few months there you couldn't turn your head for hearing about protein balls – but it seems they've already been usurped by a new kid in town.
Fat has endured a long spell in the wilderness when it came to health food trends, but that's coming to an end now; every week, there's a new story on why we should be eating full-fat butter instead of dairy spreads, or the importance of 'good' fats such as those found in avocados, nut butters and coconut oil.
And sure enough, those of us who are reversing the habit of a lifetime and embracing the f-word are finding that it works wonders for our energy levels, our consistency and concentration, our strength and our ability to train.
That said, it's not always easy to get the requisite amount of the right fats on board – particularly for the average-sized male, who would need around 130g per day. So the solution? Load them all into a little ball, and consume them in one go.
Fat bombs, like protein balls, are designed to taste good and load up on the foods we really need in our system – in this case, that can be nut butters, avocados, coconut oil, or even cream.
Fancy giving one a go...
Sure don't take our word for it. Try these delicious pumpkin-flavoured fat bombs to see what they're like – if you're someone who does a lot of strength training, in particular, you'll know how badly you need this energy.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 a stick of butter (softened at room temperature)
- 1/2 a cup of pumpkin
- Ground cloves
- Throw the coconut oil into a pan, and once it's liquid pour it into a warm bowl. Add in the softened butter, and whip the two together.
- Stir in the pumpkin and keep whipping until it's gone nice and smooth and creamy. Add the spices – as much as you like – and stir.
- Spoon the mixture out on to greaseproof paper
- Leave to firm in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Roll the mixture into one-inch balls and place immediately back into the fridge for at least an hour.