Close

Follow Lovin Dublin

World's Hottest Chili Pepper Has Burned A Hole In A Man's Throat

By katedemolder

December 20, 2016 at 12:10am

Share:

The world's hottest pepper has burned a hole in a man's throat, a medical journal has revealed. 

The man, a 47-year-old American citizen, suffered a 1-inch tear in his oesophagus after he bit into a burger which was covered in ghost-pepper puree. 

It is not clear how the ghost pepper prompted the man's oesophagus to rupture - whether it was the inflammation, the retching, something else, or a combination of factors. 

Ghost peppers have a Scoville rating of more than one million. To put that in perspective: a sweet bell pepper has 0, Tabasco has 100, and Jalapeno has 2,500.

Shutterstock 332724707

That'sa spicy meatball.

The sauce in which the burger was covered was made from bhut jolokia peppers.

The man vomited immediately after eating the burger and was in severe pain.

He was rushed to a hospital, without delay, where he spent 23 days before he was discharged - with a gastric tube in place

Yikes.

READ NEXT: PICS: This Method Could Make Cycling In Dublin So Much Safer

Share:

Join the Lovin Dublin Newsletter

* indicates required

Interests

Marketing Permissions

Please select all the ways you would like to hear from Lovin Media Group:

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.